How to choose lighting for your home
Lighting buyers guide
Lighting is a great way to transform any room. Our stunning collection includes ceiling lights, floor lamps and lampshades, all available to buy in-store and online. From bold and stylish pendants to warm and cosy lamps, you’re sure to find something to suit your needs. Read this guide for more helpful tips and tricks to create the perfect lighting in your home.
Ambient lighting involves using colour, temperature and brightness to create a comfortable low level of light throughout a room. It’s commonly used in living rooms, dining rooms and bedrooms to create a soothing and relaxing atmosphere. Pendant lights and chandeliers work really well for creating ambient lighting in a space.
Task lighting is directional lighting that illuminates the task a person is carrying out in a given space. It supports more functional tasks, for example, preparing food or reading. Desk lamps, task floor lamps and spotlights are good examples.
Accent lighting is the most creative of all lighting effects. It is not intended for functional use but instead illuminates a particular area or object. It’s often used to highlight a piece of artwork or architectural features in a room.
Accent lighting also works really well in conjunction with ambient light in the living room to give greater flexibility and add depth to a space. Carefully placed spotlights, table lamps or floor lamps are perfect for accent lighting.
Types of light fixtures
To create the perfect lighting scheme you will need to combine different types of lighting. Layering lights will not only ensure the space is well-lit, but it also adds depth and creates an atmosphere. Here’s a quick overview of the main options available.
Almost every room will have ceiling lights because they usually provide the most light. The two main types of ceiling lights are pendant lights and flush lighting. Pendants lights hang down from the ceiling whereas flush lights have little or no gap from the ceiling. We have a great range of stylish striking ceiling lights available to suit any room.
Wall lights offer a softer source of general lighting that works well in conjunction with ceiling lights. They provide a basic orientation and can accentuate a certain part of the room. Shop our range of beautiful and unique wall lights here.
Floor lamps are tall freestanding lamps that are designed to stand on the floor and position light higher in the room. A floor lamp is ideal for creating ambient lighting in a larger room, for example, on an evening when you don’t want the overhead lighting on. They’re also great for providing extra light when doing a task as they’re often focused on one area.
As the name suggests, a table lamp is designed to stand on a table or any other piece of furniture. With the perfect bulb, shade, shape and colour, modern contemporary table lamps can work as a source of direct or diffused light to create an ambient setting.
A lampshade is a fixture that covers the lightbulb on a lamp to diffuse the light it emits. Lampshades can be made out of a wide variety of materials and come in many different shapes, sizes and designs. They are a quick and budget-friendly way to upgrade your lighting and refresh the look of a space.
- Island lighting for cooking tasks. Our pendant lights create the perfect focal point and help to define a space.
- Lighting over a kitchen table or breakfast bar. Again, a stylish pendant light will make a statement and help to zone the space.
- Under-cabinet lighting for illuminating worktops.
- Spotlights for brightening up the room when preparing food etc.
- Floor lights will brighten up a dark corner or use lower lighting when hosting.
- Statement pendant lights look great over any kitchen table and can really add style to any room.
- Wall lights create a lower level of lighting for a more relaxed feel.
- Floor lights and table lights are a great way of creating an ambient atmosphere when the main lighting isn’t needed.
- A ceiling light or even a simple lampshade is also a great addition to any living room and can really change the look of a space.
- A pendant light works well in the centre of the room or over the bed and can be a great focal point.
- Bedside lamps on either side of the bed are ideal for reading. View our table lamp range here for some ideas.
- Overhead ceiling lights are essential for illuminating the stairs and main walkway. Spotlights create a sleek, minimalist look while pendant lights will add character.
- Wall lights or table lights are a great way of brightening up a corner and creating softer, more ambient lighting.
Bathroom lighting is regulated to ensure the safe installation of fixtures in a room susceptible to humidity and damp. This means bathroom light fittings must be protected against water ingress. Make sure you are following housing regulation guidelines when looking at bathroom lighting.
- A popular choice for modern bathrooms, downlights and spotlights are very discreet and are ideal for illuminating an entire room.
- Wall lights that work independently from the main lighting are perfect if you want to create a subdued feel. When placed over a mirror, they can also serve as task lighting, for example, when shaving or applying make-up.
Shop for lighting at Knees Home & Electrical
At Knees Home & Electrical we stock a wide variety of lighting from top brands including dar lighting, one of the best-known designers and distributors of lighting for the home in the UK. We have a range of lighting on display in our stores in Trowbridge and Malmesbury, so you can take a look before you buy. But you don’t have to live locally to buy your new lamp from us.
We deliver across mainland UK using our delivery partner, and you can see and buy our entire range online. Read more about our delivery services here. If you need any help or advice, our helpful customer service team will be happy to assist you.